I've tried and it is floated right now.  If I position it absolutely,
the wrapper class will not recognize it's height and the side menu will
expand beyond the content area.  I did some research and people
suggested using JS to fix this so I'm writing that right now.  We'll see
how it works.  IE apparently does something funny with z-index