> I just tried this and it works fine for me:
>
> <!--- Create XML Doc. --->
> <cfxml variable="xmlData">
>       <dude>
>               <name>Ben Nadel</name>
>       </dude>
> </cfxml>
>
> <!--- Get XML String (Including <?xml string). ---> <cfset
> strXmlData = ToString( xmlData ) />
>
> <!--- Check XML string. --->
> #HtmlEditFormat( strXmlData )#
>
> <!--- Repase string from xmlDoc. --->
> <cfxml variable="xmlCopy">#strXmlData#</cfxml>
>

> ,,,,,
>
> Shouldn't this thrown an error? The ToString() method returns this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <dude>
>               <name>Ben Nadel</name>
>       </dude>
>
> Then, I pass that back into an CFXML tag (xmlCopy) and blam,
> no worries.

OK, I just tried something similar, and got the same result. It was my
understanding that you couldn't include an XML declaration within CFXML, but
apparently that changed between CF 6 and 7:

"ColdFusion MX 7: Added support for using an XML declaration at the start of
the text."
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/00000352.htm#2497244

So, thanks for pointing that out!

But in any case, there's no need for the original poster to do this, if the
point is simply to output the existing string of XML. And, if you have a
string containing XML and you want to create an XML document object, that's
what XmlParse is for.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/