Very instructive....

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Erat [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:52 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CFHTTP, SSL and Certificates (Obligatory "Oh My")

I tried CFMX 7.02 using the built in 1.4.2_09 JVM  and the 1.4.2_11 JVM, but
both reported a CFHTTP failure of "I/O Exception: peer not authenticated"
even after I imported the jhu certificate into the cacerts used by the JVM
under ColdFusion and verified it with the keytool list output (and of course
I restarted CF as well).

ColdFusion was successful with https://login.yahoo.com and
https://www.google.com, but not with the jhu.edu site.

I traced the connections from CFHTTP to watch the events unfold, and I
traced my Firefox connection to jhu.edu as well.  Here's some screenshots of
the traces, although I don't have any conclusions to draw from them yet:

a) Trace of Firefox to jhu.edu
http://www.talkingtree.com/images/jhu_firefox_server_hello.jpg

b) Trace of CF7.02 CFHTTP to jhu.edu
http://www.talkingtree.com/images/jhu_trace_server_hello.jpg

c) Trace of CF7.02 CFHTTP to yahoo
http://www.talkingtree.com/images/yahoo_login_trace.jpg

d) Trace of CF7.02 CFHTTP to google
http://www.talkingtree.com/images/google_trace.jpg

Traces a, c, and d are show a successful exchange, and trace b shows the
failure.  Traces a and b to jhu.edu show a Client Hello in frame 4 and a
Server Hello in frame 6.  Trace a then shows firefox sending a Client Master
Key to jhu.edu on frame 7, but trace b shows CFMX sending some Encrypted
Data followed by a FIN and RST flag back to jhu.edu, thus ending the
connection.  Trace b goes on to show that CFHTTP tries 3 times, but
continues to fail.

The there are 6 key types (Cipher specs) in Firefox, and 4 key types in the
JVM under CF (shown in the middle of screenshots a and b), although Firefox
in frame 7 uses SSL2_RC4_128_WITH_MD5 as the Cipher Spec, which is common to
Firefox and CF's JVM.

The only other interesting observation is that Yahoo and Google use TLS (the
'new' SSL protocol), and jhu.edu uses SSLv2 which should work.

That's all I've got for now...

-Steven Erat