Hi Paul,

Good to hear you again. :)

Paul Hastings wrote:
> Oğuz Demirkapı wrote:
>
>> I know Ray does not have enough time to make it multi language enabled
>> but you can do it easily by using PaulH's  ResourceBundle CFC.
>>
>> http://www.sustainablegis.com/unicode/resourceBundle/javaRB.cfm
>>

> Oğuz already knows this but it's worth pointing out again that just
> translating
> text isn't enough. you need to consider date/number/currency formatting
> (thankfully cf7 handles a huge number of locales), even calendars (the
> gregorian
> calendar isn't the only one in the world) if the locales you need to support
> require it, as well as collation, writing system directionality, etc. and of
> course you need to "just use unicode" which cf makes a breeze these days.

Yes I know it needs lots of work to create a fully i18N supported
application but if you just need forum application in a different
language, i think it is not so complicated to convert it into your
target language.

We have also discussed with Ray long time ago. I have suggested to use
same method like in BlogCFC but he mentioned that he did not have any
time at that time and there was "is" not a huge amount of request for
this process.

>>> I don't believe any of the other cf forum apps have multilingual support
>>> either.
>>>

> boardfusion will eventually. www.boardfusion.org

I also created a forum application 4 years ago but after that time I
could not find a chance to make it a product. You can see working copy
of it via http://motorspor.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.home

It was designed for CF 5 (there was no CFMX) but converted CFMX later.
It is a Fusebox 3 based application.

>>> building language independent code is a PITA, makes it hard to read the
>>> code if you ask me.
>>>

> i disagree w/rick too (of course ;-). it's no harder to read than anything
> else.
> but more to the point, the days of ignoring the rest of the world or making
> them
> work the way "we" do is long past.

I was just discussing this week with one of my coworker about
CFStudio/Homesite usage. I pleased not using these applications which
create trouble for my Unicode pages. I am also explaining every day and
every day, why we need to use Unicode as a standard. :)

I am planning also to prepare a full day class at next CFUnited about
i10n & i18N and best practices.

Oğuz Demirkapı

TeraTech Inc. | Senior Developer
405 East Gude Dr Suite 207, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Voice: +1 (301) 424-3903 ext 111 | Fax: +1 (301) 762-8185
Web: http://www.teratech.com | E-mail: oguz.demirkapi <AT> teratech.com
Winner in CFDJ awards Best Consulting. Member Team Fusebox.