Josh Nathanson wrote:
> 3) If I did the rereplace on the way into the db, it still may not catch all
> offending control characters.  There may be a new one that isn't in the
> regex yet.  Additionally, I don't want to disrupt the shopper's checkout
> process if at all possible.

there can't be. the control chars are a fixed, known quantity. not a cf regex
expert but w/a java Pattern you can pull out {Cntrl} for US-ASCII or better yet
use the unicode control char block (Cc) which goes a bit deeper:

'\u0000' through '\u0008'
'\u000E' through '\u001B'
'\u007F' through '\u009F'

you could also test whether the char is "ignorable". have a look at the java
docs for Character & Character.UnicodeBlock.

> 5) So, I may as well just do it on the way out of the db, where I don't have
> to worry about disrupting a shopper when they are about to buy something
> (can you imagine the error message: "Sorry, we have detected an invisible
> character in your address.  Please remove it and re-submit.")

why do it that way? why not just remove the chars silently?