benign,

Let me preface this by saying that Ajax features are not fancy, whiz
bang effects. Those effects are typically additional DOM/CSS/DHTML
components created to compliment Ajax functionality.

If all you want is straight Ajax with some level of CF integration, then
look at AjaxCFC (www.robgonda.com) or JSMX (www.lalabird.com). These are
lightweight options that offer very good Ajax features and nice CF
coupling.

If you want Ajax integrated with the effects and some level of CF
integration, then look at MXAjax.

I started off with AjaxCFC and then decided to use one of the more
popular & maintstream libraries on the market. These include:

jQuery (http://www.jquery.com)
Prototype/Scriptaculous (http://script.aculo.us/)
Yahoo User Interface (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/)
Dojo (http://dojotoolkit.com/)

I personally chose jQuery because of its power, documentation, learning
curve and simple syntax. While all of the tools I listed are very
powerful, only YUI, IMO, came close in terms of completeness in regards
to the criteria I just mentioned (power, documentation, learning curve
and simple syntax). The community is awesome as well.

There are several CF'ers here that have adopted jQuery so if you need
some assistance feel free to ask.

Rey...