I do a few things and its been working quite well.  It involves 3 features.

1) Set up a blacklist and a whitelist for posting.
2) Set some session variables on the form itself to prevent automated
posting from other sites. Check those variables on the processing page. (if
the page is prevented because of this, and if the user email and/or ip is
not in the blacklist, then log those two bits onto the blacklist
3) Check subject, contents for bad words on a bad word list.  If the words
are in the bad words list, check the blacklist.  If they are on the
blacklist, discard. IF they are not, put them on the blacklist.  (Bad word
list must be updated fairly often, see 5)
4) BlackList/White List
        a) Check the blacklist, for either the email or the ip. (in checking
my db when I was getting hit, spammers will tend to use the same email
address and the same ip address, just not always the at the same time.  If
they are on the blacklist, stop processing and proceed.
        b) If they aren't on the blacklist, check the whitelist for ip and
email), if they are whitelisted, then post, send out subscriptions, nothing
else is needed.
5) If the poster is neither on the black list or the white list, then post
it and send the blog master an email with the posting.  Have two links on
the post.  If the posting is spam, the blogmaster can click the blacklist
link and blacklist them. This removes the post from the db and puts the
information onto the blacklist. Take care to use this for spam only and not
for comments you simply don't like.  If the post is good, then whitelist it
and this will then send subscription emails out for people who wanted to be
notified on the blog article.

It's a bit more complex than a captcha, but its invisible to most users.  I
do tend to send out an email to first time posters, explaining the
situation, but haven't gotten any complaints on that.  It involves some of
your time patrolling, but I've found that instead of getting 100 spam
comments on my site per day, I'm getting maybe 2-3 a week that slip by and
that usually involves me just putting more stuff in my bad words list.  Its
also highly accessible (since it involves no extra user involvement).

Sandra Clark
http://www.shayna.com
Training in Cascading Style Sheets and Accessibility