I'm in Indianapolis, IN and charge $55.00 per hour for web/database work.

A big pitfall is not charging for phone time.  I grant all clients a 10 min
break. On the first call of the day.  after that I bill in 15 min blocks at
the full rate.  Put it in the contract or you will get inundated with calls.

Ask for a single point of contact or your gonna get 2 people with 2
viewpoints and one will be claiming you didn't build what they asked for.

ABSOLUTELY ask for 1/2 up front, yes projects do get cut short.

IF you put testing pages on your own server bill for the power and Internet
fees. Those things are not free and the client knows it.