From: Rick Root [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:43 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Capture Alternatives

Ray Champagne wrote:
> Here's a question that hasn't been answered, maybe 'cause there isn't one:
> we talk all day about protecting ourselves from these gnarly bastages, is
> there any way to fight back?
>
> I'd love to see a way for me to block them, then fire back with my own
> script - it might not solve anything, but man, it would feel good...

One worthwhile thing is to make what they're doing less valuable.

Anywhere you dynamically convert URLs to links.. in message boards,
blogs, etc... add the rel="nofollow" attribute.

One of the reasons spammers do what they do is to increase search engine
visibility... the more sites that link to you, the better your search
engine ranking will be.

However, most of the major search engines will *NOT* count links with
the rel="nofollow" attribute.

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050118-204728

I'm doing this in blogcfm (and I think in cfmbb too)

It doesn't stop them from spamming you, but if everyone did it, it
wouldn't be worthwhile to the spammers to do it.  At least, not for the
purpose of increasing search engine visibility.

Rick