What I've been doing is testing the speed of a call to a function in a cfc not
written by myself, that must be used as a search function to an interface I've
written.  My question revolves around the speed of the things.  I'll explain
what's happening before I try wording the question.

*3 components written as web services, but in this case all sitting as objects
in the application.
*One function in each component provides an interface to search an address
database (simple, standard and advanced searches).
*In my code I've called clearTrustedCache() of the administrator and I've code
to try and ensure the pages I'm looking at are not being cached, which I'm sure
is working.
*I'm timing just one line of code.  The <cfset> that calls the application
scope onbject(function), assigning it's return to a variable.  I use
getTickCount() just be fore and just after.

So it's timing the call, the function process and the return of data.
Everything is sitting on one CF7.01MX development box and always calling the
same oracle DB.   The administrator is set to cache the last 100 queries.

The anomoly i can't explain is that the first call reports a much higher time
than subsequent calls.  But more still, the second third and so on can be to
any of the 3 components (all created in application scope prior to any call),
with any search criteria i.e. the second call doesn't need to use the same
component/function as the first call and can even search with different
criteria and it still seems to be benefitting from some form of caching that
the first call did not.

This might all sound a bit vague or fuzzy.  I'd like to say I've ruled out
template caching, and can't explain how it could possibly be query caching
(dynamic queries, different criteria, different queries in different
comonents..)  So that leads to beleive that the first call is doing something
else to slow it down rather than something being done to speed up the others.

Lastly, I should say that reference to 'the first call' is neither the first
call the the server, or the application but rather the first call to those
functions each day/test... I'm even slightly unsure about the time between
tests that needs to go by before I can produce a slow first call again.

Any ideas at all would be helpful.  I might have to come up with an explanation
before I can consider putting this live.

If any of the data or code would help I'll post on request.

Ryan

solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and
should not be disclosed to any other party.
If you have received this email in error please notify your system manager and
the sender of this message.

This email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses but no
guarantee is given that this e-mail message and any attachments are free from
viruses.

Fife Council
Tel: 08451 55 00 00