>>Yep. So, this is the wrong name for the attribute. There should be an
 >>encoding attribute and a charset attribute.

Who cares? As far as Internet is concerned, there is no difference.
The only problem will be when (and if) UTF-8 is used to represent
something else that Unicode,
which is not close to happen.

 >>Allaire got this wrong and it should be corrected, IMHO.

Allaire has been wrong in several issues in their design, but in not
this event,
ie: Meta tags and HTTP headers, there is nothing they could do.
When they have an attribute "charset=", it is just intended to pass a
value to the charset
attribute used in the HTTP header.
What is your point? Should we write:
<CFHEADER encoding="UTF-8"> in order to generate a header containing
charset="UTF-8" ?
This is ridiculous.
The W3C got ot wrong, but not Allaire.

 >>There is no such thing as converting a character set from 8859-1 to
UTF-8.
You're not slouthing 8859-1 characters to UTF-8, you're rendering the page
UTF-8 using content that's charset s 8859-1 charset.

This is right, but as far as Internet is concerned, these considerations
are purely academic.

 >>CF 5, by default renders the page UTF-7. That is your problem.

UTF-7? CF5? What are you talking about? By default, CF5 sends 8bits
characters, whatever the charset you use.
If your text is iso-8859-1, then no problem, this is the charset used by
default by most browsers.
You better specify it in some META tag though.

CFMX renders the page UTF-8, THAT's my problem.

 >>If you're seeing some type of garbling because you're rendering the
page in
UTF-7, all you have to do is tell the browser (via CF) to render the page
UTF-8, just like you would do through your browser options.

My feeling is that you didn't follow the thread completely:
I have an application in CF5, not able to understand UTF-8,
which is CFHTTPing another page from another server under CFMX which
renders the content
in UTF-8.
I have no control on the CFMX server, and It is out of question I
convert all my CF5 application to use UTF-8
instead of iso-8859-1.
So the solution is CF_CharsetConvert which works pretty well, even with
no Java.

--
REUSE CODE! Use custom tags;