You could serialize the cart (using WDDX or some other method) and put
it in the client scope.  I also think just using a database is a good
option.

Using a database would allow you to easily see your customers' carts,
which might be useful from a support perspective. Also, it would allow
a customer to put ads in his cart and log in later from another
computer to pick up where he left off.

Patrick