From: Brian Rinaldi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 10:12 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Crystal Tech or HostMySite? That's my problem!!!

I have used both and, as shared hosts go, they are both good. I have
encountered issues at both, but prefer HostMySite.

The one issue I had with CrystalTech that caused me to drop them entirely
was with their process doing updates. HostMySite is good about notifying you
when things like CF Updaters would be installed, but CT was not. They
installed 7.0.1 without notice which had a bug whereby if you did
argumentCollection=form or argumentCollection=url it would be broken. Well,
I used this on every site I had hosted at CT (which was a fairly significant
number at the time). CT support kept telling me they had not changed
anything and that it was simply my code was broken - it took forever to get
them to admit they had installed the update.

That being said, my current site at HostMySite was very stable the first 6
months and now seems to go down a handful of times a day (based on my error
reports and monitoring), which is probably due to some site on their that
eats up CF resources but still really isn't acceptable. Bringing this up to
HostMySite's support has not made much headway, and the initial improvement
after the install of SeeFusion appears to have completely disappeared.

So the net result from my little rant-ish post here is still HostMySite is
better and CT is still decent, but neither comes without a list of problems
that are just part of the pain of shared hosting. Which, btw, I am in the
midst of setting up a VPS hosting situation for myself and getting away from
these issues I hope.

- Brian Rinaldi
blog: http://www.remotesynthesis.com/blog
ColdFusion Open Source List: http://www.remotesynthesis.com/cfopensourcelist