Chad Gray wrote:

> I am basically doing a query on a table of catalogs and elements
> inside of the catalog.  Each element has a history of status changes
> (new, in progress, done etc).

So each element always has a corresponding value in the history table.

> SELECT c.CatalogID, c.CatalogName, e.*, es.ElementStatus, es.
> ElementStatusDate, es.UserName
> FROM Catalogs as c
> LEFT JOIN Elements as e ON c.CatalogID = e.CatalogID
> LEFT JOIN (
>       SELECT MAX(ElementStatusHistoryID) as MaxESHID, ElementID
>       FROM ElementStatusHistory
>       GROUP BY ElementID
> ) as maxESH ON (e.ElementID = maxESH.ElementID)
> LEFT JOIN (
>       SELECT ElementStatusHistoryID, ElementStatus, ElementStatusDate,
> UserName
>       FROM ElementStatusHistory
> ) as es ON (es.ElementStatusHistoryID = maxESH.MaxESHID)
> WHERE c.CatalogID = 10

Try:

SELECT
  c.CatalogID,
  c.CatalogName,
  e.*, es.ElementStatus,
  es. ElementStatusDate,
  es.UserName
FROM
        Catalogs C
                LEFT JOIN
        (
                SELECT *
                FROM
                        (
                                SELECT MAX(ElementStatusHistoryID) as MaxESHID,
ElementID
                                FROM ElementStatusHistory
                                GROUP BY ElementID
                        ) tmp
                                INNER JOIN
                        ElementStatusHistory ON es.ElementStatusHistoryID =
tmp.MaxESHID
                                INNER JOIN
                        Elements ON e.ElementID = tmp.ElementID
        ) E ON C.CatalogID = E.CatalogID