Here's something... it's a bit of a 4.0 browser thing tho, so it's up to
you if you want to go with that....

<script language="Javascript">

function checkEmail(){

var ValidEmail =
/^[a-z0-9]([a-z0-9_\-\.]*)@[a-z0-9]([a-z0-9_\-\.]*)(\.[a-z]{2,3}(\.[a-z]{2}){0,2})$/i;

if (formname.email.value == 0) {alert('Email is Required');return false}
else if (ValidEmail.test(formname.email.value) == false) {alert('Invalid
Email Format.');return false}
else {return true}

}
</script>

<form action="index.cfm" name="formname" onSubmit="return checkEmail()">

</form>

This uses regular expressions...   which is only in Javascript 1.2, and
only works on Netscape 4.0+ or IE 4.0+ I think....    It's up to you!!

Stuart Duncan
MaracasMedia Inc.