If I only use 1 instance, everything is fine.  Once I have more then 1
instance in the cluster, the error happens randomly.

I'm not sure the exact reason we're using client variables.  It's a big
system and I haven't played with that part of the code yet.

In my test example the instances are both on the same server.

I put in the code and it's not always the same instance that the error
occurs in.  Also once the error occurs, it will happen on any instance, and
on any page that I try to access until I clear my cookies (i.e. get a new
session).