Some good points, Rick...

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Root [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 6:07 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Advice needed on how to proceed with app...

Josh Nathanson wrote:
> Rick, the only thing I'm wondering is, why create a separate database for
> each client's site data.  That seems to add a layer of complication that
> might not be needed.

Security, Backup/restore, code complexity, site portability.

Multiple commercial clients on multiple web sites - even all on one
server.. I want each of them to have their own database, their own
datasource, etc.  That's the security.

If one client messes up his data in a massive way, it's a lot easier to
restore HIS database and not worry about the other clients.

Having to add a client ID to every method call - or at least to every
query - adds a level of code complexity *AND* data complexity that
simply isn't necessary.

Site portability - most of the time, I build sites for my clients, and
they own the sites - and the code.  Even if I'm reusing my own code and
giving them a discounted rate cuz I don't have to redevelop, they can
still take their web site to another developer, another hosting company,
etc.

Unless you're building a massive production system where the benefits of
having a single database outweigh the above issues.. I think it's a much
better idea to have separate databases.

Rick