Doug,

You are confusing a few different ideas here I think ...

Yes, there is a lot of chat nowadays about frameworks and methodologies and
the like. But that  has nothing to do with CFCs really. Fusebox, for
example, existed long before CFCs were introduced. I think what you are
seeing is that many CFers have matured, their apps are more sophisticated,
they have been introduced to concepts and practices popularized buy other
languages, and they are trying to apply that thinking back to ColdFusion.
And that's great, if it works for you. If it does not, then do what you do
now.

With the exception of a few features (creating web services, writing Flex
back-ends in CF, and working with event gateways, to name a few), CFCs are
entirely optional. Having said that, I don't believe that CFCs themselves
have introduced OOP type complexity. Sure, CFCs can be part of a more
sophisticated application architecture, but hey are also useful as an
organization mechanism when building simple n-tier apps. Look at it this
way, all of those <cfinclude> and Custom Tags that we built for years as a
way to organize our code, well, CFCs are often better suited for the task.
It's nothing to do with OOP if you don't want it to be.

And as for "I am afraid to look at CFMX 8 as I feel that OO is the way CF is
going", fear not. We'll add object type functionality when and if it makes
sense, but we have no intentions of losing what made CF CF in the first
place, simplicity and productivity.

--- Ben