Dennis,

Have you tried the new Verity with CF7?  It was the first time MM renewed
the license since (I believe) CF4.  It is much faster than the previous
engine and has new features (like "did you mean" and categories).  It also
lets you see how many documents you're using per index.  It still has the
same document-count limitations (125k for standard, and 250k for
Enterprise).

Don't dismiss Lucene either (if you're open to new search engines).

There are new features in MSSQL2005 text search (they did update the
engine), but I haven't personally used it yet in CF (so I couldn't help you
much there).

---
Jeff Coughlin