> Anyone ever heard of a credit card validation service (via the web)?
> I would like to be able to verify if a credit card is valid before
> passing the email along to billing.
>
> I know I can validate the NUMBER, using mod10, but I would like to
> pass some service the number, name on card, exp date, etc and see
> if its valid, and maybe even see if a purchase of $XX would go through.

Any of the card validation services can do a "Pre-Authorization"
transaction, which in effect validates that money is available, and puts a
"hold" on it. Then, you just pass billing the CC number, exp date, and
authorization number, and they do a "Force" transaction, completing the
sale. This is done all the time by companies who don't ship product
immediately... legally, you're not supposed to finalize the transaction
until you ship. I think it was Buy.com that got into a big stink on this
issue last year.

Ron Allen Hornbaker
President/CTO
Humankind Systems, Inc.