> I'd have to say if a developer needs to take an exam to learn new
features
> then
> perhaps they aren't a very good developer.

Or perhaps the work they are doing simply doesn't expose them to some of
the more esoteric functions of the language that the exam likely covers.

Being a good developer has less to do with having memorized every last
tag, function and feature, and much more with how that knowledge is
applied to solve a problem. I can always look in the docs to get an
answer to a syntax question, but the docs don't tell me how to use it to
solve the particular problem in front of me - that's where experience
and skill comes in.

Exams, however, by their nature, tend to be more about reciting syntax
and knowing the language in a broad fashion, rather than a deep one.

So I can see how brushing up for an exam might give me more than a few
"a ha!" moments as I cover aspects of the language I simply haven't had
a real world use for, and it's useful information, but whether I knew it
or not before hand has little bearing on how well I write software.