From: Brad Wood [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 11:50 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: No, I'll call you...

Ok, so I am working on some very long reports and am peddling ideas...

Here's the idea: The user runs a very long report, and the request will
simply be placed in some sort of queue to be ran asynchronously.  The
user is told he/she will be notified when it is completed.

Then the user surfs away to another portion of the site.  Half an hour
later when the report finishes, a message pops up on the users screen
saying "Your report is finished, you may view the result now".

My first thought was I could place a receiver JavaScript function in
every page in the site, then make an Ajax call to run the report.  When
the Ajax call returned, it would fire the function and display/alert the
message.

Well, no dice on that.  I tried it in IE and FF.  IE actually leaves the
TCP connections open until the call returns, but there is nothing
listening to receive it.  FF actually threw an unhappy error when I
tried to navigate away while the call was going, and then it closed the
TCP connection.

I'm really afraid the correct answer to this is "The web is stateless.
What you need is a client server app.  Convert your entire site to Flex
2 Enterprise and use their sweet messaging services and all your woes
will disappear"

Now, as much as I would like to do that, that's not really an option
right now.  Any suggestions?

~Brad