>>Actually if I make a system dsn in windows linking to the Excel file
then hook this into CF administrator.  What is the table name of the
worksheet?

I may be wrong, but I think that the datasource points to a directory in
which every .xls file is considered as a table. Then the query goes like
this:
<CFQUERY Datasource="MyExcelDSN">
 SELECT FROM myExcelFile.xls

Personally, I'm using files in CSV format, but it should work the same
way for Excel files.

 >>Also my MS Access idea linking to the excel it appears that if you
update the excel file and query the datasource again the updated data in
the excel file does not appear.  I wonder if it is being cached and how
to purge it.

Make sure you uncheck the Maintain connections across client requests in
the Datasources options.

--
REUSE CODE! Use custom tags;