From: Patrick McElhaney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 9:07 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: TDD for ColdFusion

On 12/21/06, Jeff Chastain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> However, the mock object frameworks for Java and other languages
> simply don't port to ColdFusion because of language construct
> differences.  Without a mock object framework, the only other option I
> see is to hand create and maintain stub or mock objects, and this just
> does not seem like a feasible practice in an application of any size.

That's exactly the same conclusion I reached after trying to to do TDD in CF
a couple years ago.

Remember, TDD is about development, not about testing. It's supposed to make
developing code easier. If instead it makes development much harder there's
no sense using it.

However, I do think it's worthwhile to practice TDD in another language and
learn the test-first mindset. As I'm modeling CFCs, to ask, "How would I
test this?" has become second-nature. The ability to think test-first, even
if I can't do it all the time, has been a tremendous help in writing
cohesive, loosely coupled code.

Patrick

--
Patrick McElhaney