From: Mary Jo Sminkey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 29 December 2006 17:13
To: CF-Talk
Subject: HostMySite Issue

I recently moved my site to HostMySite and am now having major problems as a
result. Here's the issue: I use a cfcontent tag to send downloaded software
down to the client, as is commonly done so the file can be kept in a secure
location. The file is around 10 megs so can take anywhere from 10-15 seconds
to a minute or two to download. The problem is that HMS is using SeeFusion
and has recently set it to end any threads running more than 50 seconds.
This is a major problem because it overrides normal ColdFusion behavior that
allows tags like cfcontent and cfftp to run to completion. And it even
overrides use of a cfsetting tag for pages you expect to take awhile to run
so I have no way to override this. So now my customers go to download the
software and for many, it keeps timing out on them, and the customer tries
again and again until they run out of download attempts....and then of
course I get an annoyed email and have to deal with sending them the file
another way. HostMySite's suggestion? Use ASPUpload instead! They say they
have no problem with the setting causing problems for some people if it
keeps the servers running better for everyone else.

So this post is for two reasons...to warn anyone that might be considering
using HMS shared hosting that they better not ever need a ColdFusion page to
run more than 50 seconds. And to see if anyone knows of a way to get the
cfcontent to complete faster. Is there any way to get the thread to run to
completion without it having to wait for the client to receive the entire
file? Any other options I could look at that will integrate into ColdFusion?

I hope that when the improved server monitoring with Scorpio comes out that
will allow for better handling of things like this. I totally appreciate the
need to kill hanging threads and keep the server up and running. But I
totally disagree with being able to override normal use of ColdFusion like
this.

--- Mary Jo