thanks porter, i took your advice and just set up a plain cfm page with four
versions
of that query.

1. no cfqueryparam all columns
   Time=31ms, Records=210

2. no cfqueryparam no txt columns
   Time=31ms, Records=210

3. cfqueryparam all columns
   Time=17297ms, Records=210

4. cfqueryparam no txt columns
   Time=16359ms, Records=210

turns out the cfqueryparam is giving me the problem here. any thoughts? i use
cfqueryparam mostly everywhere as a rule and never ran into this problem. like,
why here, why now?

-alex