Thanks

Unfortunately, simply having the two tables joined doesn't help.

The issue isn't getting the correct data, it's simply that to get the
output I need, I have to loop over each column in each record to see
which column has been updated in a given time period, and output the
info about that column.

USERS has a single "lastupdated" column, just so we know when it was
updated. USER_UPDATED has most of the same columns as USERS, but each
column just holds a date stamp of the last time the corresponding field
was updated in USERS

The data looks something like this:

USERS:

UserID    Firstname    Lastname
------    ---------    -----------
  1         John          Doe
  2         Jane                Smith

USER_UPDATE:

UserID    Firstname    Lastname
------    ----------   -----------
  1       07/08/2005   10/31/2006
  2       05/10/2006    7/15/2006

The output I am looking for is this, given an input date of 01/01/2006:

UserID   FieldName    Value
   1     Lastname      Doe
   2     Firstname     Jane
   2     Lastname      Smith

The code produces the exact output I need, so the basic logic is fine
(if not as fast as I need it to be).

The queries run in a few milliseconds, so they aren't the bottleneck.

It's the looping through each column in each record of the resultset to
check the updated date of each field when it's 12000 records x 89
columns that's the bottleneck.