I will use Model-Glue for this example.

You typically have a master template.  This master template has set areas to
load document information.  These areas are very similar to cfincludes, but
the framework has a view collection.  The views are stored into a collection
that have names attached to each view.  If that particular segment of code
is present, you load it in the area on the master document with the same
name.

I have seen an include based layout work effectively, but embeded includes
is just painful for debugging.

This introduces a modualr design as you just troubleshoot one segment at a
time when you have a problem.  If you can, do not make one included area
dependent on the other.  Model-Glue has a viewstate, which has the
variables and objects stored for that display page.  Each included segment
can reference the viewstate, so this makes the master document just a
container and you do not ahve to depend on what is being loaded on the
master page.

It makes for easier debugging.

Teddy