If you are performing more thn your average calculations upon columns, I
would recommend using table variables.  It creates the ability to store data
into a temporary variable that acts just like a table.  It does not store
the table variable in the tempDB and keeps it active in RAM until it is
garbage collected at the end of the execution.  It is extremely fast and it
allows you to create a loop structure.

Here is a link to show you how:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/PrintSearchContent.asp?LINKID=529

Table variables are valid as of SQL Server 2000 and 2005.

Teddy