I'm always developing my sites freelance projects on my own as well.
Nevertheless, I have a good friend back home who also happens to be a
good CF developer and I have sort of made him my 'replacement in case'.
I have been on the road for nearly a year in 2005 - before I left I
worked out all development work desired by my clients and finished them
up. Then I introduced them to my friend and basically told them to
contact him in case of emergencies or work that would need to be done
immediately. Worked out fine. The clients got professional support and
my friend made a bit of money on the side. Once I arrived in Oz,
everything was handed back to me.
I find that such a contingency plan is a must if you offer professional
services as a freelancer (or as a one-man/woman company). Obviously it
needs to be somebody who has the qualifications and experience, you need
to be able to trust the person and your project documentation needs to
be top-notch (it's kind of difficult to contact me in Kyrgyzstan. Heh.).
But if you make sure of all these points, you should be fine. Maybe you
want to get a freelancer in here and there on bigger projects so that in
case of emergency (and we don't have to go as far as dying here) he/she
could take over your work without having to read into the projects from
scratch. I believe that this 'service' is included in the cash you get
from your clients. As much as you expect your car manufacturer to be
able to deliver spare parts to the car you bought last year.

Adrian

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/02/2007 9:51 pm >>>

A good read, Will.

My wife has been after me to do all the things mentioned on
the blog... except the dying part.  :o)

Putting all the info about accounts, password, etc., into a document
would be tedious, but simple enough.

The hard part would be the partnership with someone who could
handle my sites (I host my own), FTP server, mail server, etc.

I'll have to develop a plan, not only to cover everything in the event
I die, but for current business prosperity.

Like I said in an earlier post, I'm getting more interest from
businesses
to develop web apps for clients to use to run their businesses.

But, the question always comes up... what if you die?  What happens
to our apps, since you're a one-person business?

So... this whole question is affecting my current state of affairs...

Rick