On 2/5/07, Doug Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I honestly think that is a whole different ball of wax. Redhat and linux in
> general would not benefit from "NOT" having a opensource version due to the
> fact that their are so many different distros available for linux. MySql is
> not available as distros for people to rebrand and make it into their own
> software like linux.

Ummm, sure it is. Most linux folks effectively make their own distro
by compiling it with whatever set of custom compile options they need.
Some drop out BDB and other database handlers that are not needed.
Others add processor-specific compilation flags. Others compile in
options that could be set in config files.

Ironically, both Linux and MySQL are licensed under the *exact same*
license -- the GPL. Anyone can build their own MySQL assuming they
follow the rules of the GPL (just like Linux). NuSphere did that
(their problem was ignoring the contribution requirements of the GPL
for their Gemini table handler). Oracle looks like they may do it. One
of the European telcos built the NDB clustering table handler for
MySQL as part of their distro (and unlike NuSphere, donated it back as
was required under the GPL) MySQL themselves does it (MySQL
Enterprise, MySQL Community, and the builds they customize for clients
with higher level support contracts).

Your premise is simply incorrect.
--
John Paul Ashenfelter