Tom, In order for the CF service to be able access networked drives you need
to have it log in with the appropriate rights. In control panel/services
double click on "Cold Fusion Application Server" and change the user the
service logs in as to either a preexisting user or a new user, say
"CFServer" or something which has network file access rights to the share.
The reason it works from the console is because you are logged in to the
system as a user. The CF service by default logs in as LocalSystem which
basically has only local system rights.

HTH
Steve