On 2/6/07, James Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Interestingly, this may in fact be true for livedocs at least:
>
> http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://livedocs.macromedia.com
>
> JRun webserver shows for every entry. However,for www.adobe.com,
> wherein lies the CF powered forums
> (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/index.cfm):
>
> http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.adobe.com
>
> Apache for every entry.

Ummm, you're assuming it's Apache because that's what the headers say?
Or am I missing something? Note the F5 BigIP in there --- lots of
stuff you can do with that to obscure what's really under the hood.

And just because Apache is in there, it doesn't mean it's doing the CF
application serving per se -- a very common situation in the Rails
world now is to use Apache 2.2 with mod_proxy to load balance between
3-10 mongrel web/ruby servers. So technically the request is
coming/going to Apache, but Apache just balances the requests and
proxies to what's really serving the pages. It's straightforward to do
the same with CF/JRun on the backend.

All academic anyhow -- the original point of the thread was whether
IIS or Apache was faster serving CF b/c IIS was quoted as being faster
for static pages. I think that there's little evidence to support that
assertion :)

<sidebar>A fun rant from Zed Shaw about statistics and programmers
rates directly to this discussion
http://zedshaw.com/rants/programmer_stats.html</sidebar> If you don't
know Zed, he wrote mongrel (one of the fastest web servers around) and
is *never* afraid to tell you exactly what he thinks :)