>I have nothing against Fusebox at all. I think I've made that pretty clear.
>I have respect for their product, even if I don't personally use it.

Product?? Product???!?!? Is that how you see the community-created frameworks
and tools or was that perhaps just a bad choice of words?

>Your first paragraph though is the crux of the problem. Companies EXPECT
>people to work for free to get a "prize".

*Some* companies. And I've answered this in another response in the thread.

>I would never do a design for free just to get a job.

That's fine. There are some jobs you would never get (and, by your principles,
those would be for companies - or community projects - that you wouldn't want
to work for).

>What if
>someone wanted you to write an app for them just to be considered for a
>position? Would you do it?

No, I won't even write code "on demand" in an interview. I'd probably point
them at some of my open source code. If I were a designer, I'd want to be able
to point them at a public portfolio. If that portfolio is made broader by
community contributions, that sounds like a good thing to me. But it's a value
judgment each developer or designer must make for themselves.

>What if this was a coding contest to write the best function to do X.

Like Ray's contests, you mean?

>Would you be willing
>to spend 30 hours writing a function that might never even get used because
>someone elses was better?

I've contributed many hundreds of hours to open source projects over the
years**. Some get used. Some don't. I don't complain to mailing lists about
it... :)

** including OpenOffice.org, Mono, GNU's Standard Template Library for C++ and
numerous others that have nothing to do with websites or ColdFusion. I don't
know if my contributions are actually part of those projects or whether any
attribution recognizes my work. That's fine. I contributed without any
expectations.

Sean