OK, I've watched this thread all day, reading the various posts,
cringing at the various name calling and what not, and (though we've
moved far into community territory) I want to chime in.

Andy Matthews is a fine developer, designer, and an all around nice guy.
A month ago my employer hired Andy as another Senior Developer, who sits
next to me everyday. I've known Andy for a little over a year, since I
moved to Nashville, because he is a very active member of our ColdFusion
User Group. He has a passion for development, a great love of good
design, and actively supports many open source projects in some way
shape and fashion, typically in an evangelical way and in sharing his
knowledge. I read the various links he passed on today, paying attention
to the message of each, and agree with most of what is put forth in the
posts, when put into the context of a commercial venture.

I don't think that this situation/contest is in line with Andy's fears.
I am very much supporting Sean's (and other's) standpoints, in that this
contest is in support of a widely accepted and utilized open source
framework. Fusebox may now be under the stewardship of TeraTech, but it
has never been about commercial profit or gain, in and of itself, and I
doubt that TeraTech has any intentions of doing anything differently in
that respect. 'Spec Work' in support of an entirely non-commercial
venture, to the benefit of any community et al, is Pro Bono work, even
within the context of a contest.

Andy, I understand and agree with your overall view point, but I
disagree with your stance in this context. And, I may be wrong, but I'm
fairly sure many here probably feel the same way. The beautiful thing
is, we have a right to our own opinions.

I'll step off my soapbox now. If anyone wants to throw some mud in my
direction, then please do it off list so everyone can get back to the
core purpose of CF-Talk: Discussion on development with ColdFusion.

P.S. Good Luck to anyone who participates in the contest. I'm not much
of a designer (other than a love of CSS layout), otherwise I'd be all
over it. I think the prizes being offered are outstanding, and should
definitely make for some nice competition.

--

Steve 'Cutter' Blades
Adobe Certified Professional

"The Past is a Memory