> Anyone know if there is an advantage either way when it comes
> to calling a stored procedure?

In the example you provided, there's no difference, but stored procedures
can be much more complex than a single SQL statement. Stored procedures can
return multiple recordsets, they can accept and return parameters. The
CFSTOREDPROC tag allows for all that. Also, you can't use CFQUERY on all
platforms to execute stored procedures, as I recall. But if you don't have
any of these issues there's nothing wrong with using CFQUERY instead, and
there are some advantages, such as the ability to use
CACHEDWITHIN/CACHEDAFTER.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/