Setting varchar this large can adversely affect performance. Use text
instead.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Williams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 4:26 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: SQL question

Varchar can go to 8096.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Theobald [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 12:46 PM
To: CF-Talk

The limit of a 'text' data field is something like 2 Gigabytes, although
many drivers will cut it off at 64K unless you take precautions and set all
kinds of options. So your problem (at 1500 bytes) is not with the data type.

At 02:56 PM 10/30/00 -0500, Simon Horwith wrote:
>text is the datatype you want.  I'm not sure what its limit is, but it's
far
>beyond 1500 characters.  If you don't need to pass too much data, you could
>use varchar.  I'm not sure what it's limit is, either, but I've used it to
>store up to 3,000 character fields without errors.
>
>~Simon

Peter Theobald, Chief Technology Officer
LiquidStreaming http://www.liquidstreaming.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone 1.212.545.1232 x204 Fax 1.212.545.0938

To put this contact information into your Palm device, click here:
http://www.coola.com/cgi-bin/addinfo.cgi?pid=15803&rid=972879910&type=A