one of the forum regulars over at Easycfm posted an overview of the
various image manipulation options.

http://www.lot-o-nothin.com/cfml/articles/index.cfm/id/3/

FWIW, i'll echo Alan's response.  I haven't used any of the others,
but i have used the efflare custom tag and not only does it work
beautifully, the customer service from efflare is amazing.