That's a poorly mixed metaphor.

If you convince others that something is "secure" (through obscurity) when
it's not then future problems place your head on the block.  Pure and
simple.

If you can't do it right, then either don't do it and report on the
consequences or make damn sure that management acceptance of your concerns
are in writing.

> My main issue is that it creates ugly urls.  You ever try and paste one of
> those in an email?  Most of them wrap the text and that doesn't get
> included
> in the link the email program produces.  An attractive site is part of the
> game we play here...urls included.

It depends.  The instance in question really doesn't matter - it's a popup
with no address bar.

But in the world of web design pretty URLs may be nice, but there are a few
things to remember:

1) "Pretty" is in the eye of the beholder.  I like my URLs descriptive - my
URLs tend to form a complete breadcrumb trail and are section independent
(lop off sections and you still get page).  However they're long.

Others like their URLs as short as possible no matter how obscure things
get.

It's subjective.

2) Attempts to make a URL pretty should never be weighed against usability
of the site or application.  If adding more information makes the site more
usable, do it.  URL attractiveness far down the list of concerns - but it IS
on the list, of course.

> Obscurity is small bit of security in that it does keep the honest folks
> honest.  Even people that know what they are doing would at least have to
> take some action to find the values.  Putting it all in the url is doing
> their job for them.  I wouldn't transfer bank accounts or credit cards
> with
> just this alone...I definitely wouldn't do it, even encrypted, in a url at
> any time.

What matter is the complete security "picture" of the site.  For example
using SSL and most any reliable single token security system is legally
enough to allow you to pass critical information in most applications -
whether it's a POST or a GET.

But certain information MUST be secured - if you "fake" security through
obscurity you're liable.

Most companies (and every fortune 500 I've worked for) have an "associate
responsibility" document of some kind.  This usually says, among other
things, that if you knowingly compromise the security of company data that
you, personally, will be liable for damages, punishment or termination.

With the various information protection acts in use in various states and
the federal acts such as HIPPA you can't afford to screw around with this
stuff anymore.

Don't put out a crappy stop gap to "keep honest people honest" - either do
it right or don't do it.  And if your still forced to do it make sure you
divest yourself of responsibility in the matter (in writing).

This is why I maintain that doing nothing is better than doing something
incompetent, security-wise.

Jim Davis