Not so. In the head of the html doc you send you can include the full url of
the stylesheet and it works, afaik. I'm using this method now. I also make sure
that all images have the full path. Apparently the <base tag doesn't work in
emails. Or maybe I was doing it wrong.

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://yoursite.com/styles.css"; />

Mik