Gareth Hughes wrote:
> because of the change in US DST when using the castFromServer method. The

welcome to timezone hell:

http://www.sustainablegis.com/blog/cfg11n/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=77223B6A-20ED-7DEE-2AB7FBB1F37ABD77

the older versions of that CFC used datetime objects which are subject to cf's
eccentricities when it comes to datetime handling. besides the stuff i outlined
in that blog entry, one of its quirks is that dateConvert() doesn't take DST
into account when converting to/from UTC. and that's what castFromServer() uses:

<cfreturn
castFromUTC(dateConvert("local2UTC",arguments.thisDate),arguments.thisTZ)>

the newer versions of that CFC (which some OS projects like machIIblog use)
uses
java epoch offsets instead of datetimes (again i need to give credit to spike
for helping me stop over-thinking the solution). since this is kind of a big
hit
in terms of an application (changing data from datetimes to longs) i've let
this
version of the CFC "stand" & handled stuff on a case-by-case basis.

> confirm/deny that the cast from server time is incorrect for EST (for
> example) on the timezone.cfc test page?

hmm, i guess i need to talk to my host (cfdynamics) though they are usually so
good about this kind of thing i kind of forget about them ;-)

> Am I supposed to manually factor in the DST difference (or is this something
> else)? Thanks.

review the suggested solutions in that blog entry. i understand that swapping
server tz or making changes to data isn't very palatable for long established
apps, so let me see if i can come up w/a workaround for the short term.