Along the lines of what Tom said, but something totally different, is the
use of syncML.

There's an awesome project now called funambol that is shweeet for
doing sync type stuff, works with mobile phones, PDAs, and all
kinds of stuff.

Way off the path for most folks 'round here, I reckon, but a pretty nifty
way of getting "mobile", perhaps.  I've only used it for syncing calendars
and contacts, but I did it for phone > palm > pocketpc, all synced up
to the same data.  Pretty slick.  Worked where other stuff didn't.

Just another log for the old noggin fire...