I recently ran into a similar issue.  I have a record set that was cached
with 45,000 records.  The performance on the QoQ against this cached query
was not to my liking.  If was directly displaying the cached query and not
performing a filter, it works great.  If you want to take a subset of this
data, I suggest not having the cached query.  I converted into a stored
procedure, so that DB performed the execution plan and perform the filters a
lot more quickly.

The only times that I have trouble with data sets is when I run into an ODBC
data set that I do not have access to and have to use CF to process through
the returned results of the filter.