Peter,

Unless you have a contract or agreement with them specifically stating that
they receive full ownership of the code, for example on completion or on
payment in full, you retain all ownership of your original code. Take it easy.

Book a meeting with a lawyer, pay them 1-2 hours to give you confirmation that
you're good, and then let your client know your position. Perhaps offer them a
non-exclusive license which allows them to use the code, but not to modify,
resell or transfer, at a premium cost.

Jack