On a totally different note:

Why not use some java solution?  I bet you could even do something
along the lines of cfmail, where CF has javamail (iirc), which totally
rocks, but of which CF exposes only a tiny bit.

Find what CF uses for LDAP, research it, and call it yourself using
createObject(), if even just for the image upload stuff.

Whenever I've run into a problem like that (IMAP stuff, in my case),
I've found using the underlying java will do what CF couldn't, if in
fact CF can't.

HIH, and if you have questions about how to leverage some java
package, feel free to ask.  Maybe jldap ( openldap.org)?  Eh...

Force be with you!