There are two reasons my organization encourages/forces all SQL to be in stored
procedures. And they don't directly touch on performance.

1. A belief that keeping SQL code in the database is of itself a good thing. By
keeping the database interaction in the database you make it easier for DBA's
to do their job. Especially when a query goes awry, and your SQL server starts
bombing.  It's in my humble opinion easier to troubleshoot SQL problems on the
SQL server when the actual SQL is present. Especially during a crisis.

Now, if you're a one person development team, or all of your CF developers are
also doing their own DBA work it might not make a whole lot of sense for this
argument.

However, having all of the SQL there allows you to more easily use SQL tuning
tools, which can improve indexing, which can make either inline queries or
stored procedures run faster.

2. It forces developers to concentrate on the database first, as that seems to
be the hardest thing to change once an application gets past the planning stage.

Granted this is just enforcing good programming practices (taking a good long
look at the database in this case) through policy. But considering that the
database side of things was causing the majority of our server problems, it was
the right call.

So...

Someone who tells you that all stored procedures are faster than inline queries
is wrong.
Someone who tells you that all stored procedures are "better", is probably
wrong.
Someone who tells you that stored procedures are better for their organization,
group or specific problem might be right.

Terrence Ryan
Senior Systems Programmer
Wharton Computing and Information Technology
E-mail:         [EMAIL PROTECTED]