> If I recall correctly, it's actually discussed directly within the CF
> documentation. But basically, it boils down to creating CFC instances to
> replace structures. For example, if you wanted to have information about a
> person in a structure, you would instead define and use a CFC to represent
> that information. Your CFC would have nothing but CFPROPERTY tags, which
> would essentially be used to provide named properties that would
> correspond
> to your structure keys; something like this:
>
> <cfcomponent>
> <cfproperty name="FirstName" type="string" ...>
> <cfproperty name="LastName" type="string" ...>
> </cfcomponent>

Man, I've re-read that three times now, and I'm just NOT following it. I'm
so sorry Dave, but isn't the CFC the webservice? So you'd call for instance,
"getPerson()" but that's not a method?

> Then, within your web service, instead of returning a structure (or an
> array
> of structures), you'd return a Person object (or an array of Person
> objects).

But would an "object" be a cross platform "object" simply because I said it
was? Who defines what a "person object" is? Is a "person object" the same in
PHP as it is in CF as it is in .Net?

Again, I apologize, but there seems to be something here that I'm just
missing.

This all stems from a web service that I'm trying to access that's just not
returning ANYTHING that resembles the results I'm expecting. So I decided to
just try and write my own "web service" that could be invoked remotely and
return live data. I got that working really easily, but then realized that I
was just returning CF "objects" (structs, arrays, query objects) that were
fine in CF, but would be worthless to anyone else. That's when I started to
realize that maybe there's a problem with the form of the data that this web
service was returning, and I started down this road... I just haven't had an
opportunity to work with WSDL and web services or XML very much, so I'm just
in WAY unfamiliar territory...