Matthew Kuehn wrote:
> 1. Can CF server add content to an existing PDF? That is, if we provide a
> base PDF
> containing all of the static content, can we use CF to *precisely* place the
> dynamic
> content as mentioned above, and output a finished PDF?

no but the underlying java lib (iText) that powers it can.

> 2. Can CF control the resolution and color space of the final PDF? We'd need a
> 300ppi CMYK PDF for printing.

DPI has no bearing on a PDF (for more info please see
http://itext.ugent.be/library/question.php?id=100), but if you mean images,
then
"yes" but you have to start w/300 DPI & scale the images (all images in iText
are 72 DPI) using iText methods.

> 3. How about placing images into a PDF? I know I can create an HTML page with
> a JPEG
> image in it and the PDF will turn out fine, but how about placing a CMYK TIFF
> with a
> clipping path over a background image? Would it turn out OK, or look
> terrible? (I'm
> guessing "look terrible".)

yes you can add CYMK color & TIFF images. i've similar (not TIFF or CYMK) & it
turned out ok.

> 4. What about other print-related issues such as n-up layout and registration
> marks?

i don't know what "n-up layout" is but yes iText can handle registration marks.

> 5. Can iText solve these issues? How about another software package? I don't
> think
> we're dead-set against buying software to maket this project happen, we just
> want it
> to happen successfully, if it can happen at all in the way we've envisioned.

yes ;-)

> a road I should even attempt going down to solve the problems above. Should I?

yes.