I've been struggling with this also.  If I remember correctly, it's a
problem with the implementation of certs in IIS.  Something about the
packet size and IIS not wanting to allow a large enough packet size.
In the end, after day of trying to get it to work correctly, I
rerouted the uploads through a secondary site.