From: Dan G. Switzer, II [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 8:00 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: A Question for Development: Ajax Now or Ajax Later?

Rick,

>So the question, becomes... spend a lot of time now learning to implement
>jQuery
>and "Web 2.0" interfaces and functionality or wait for CF 8, see what it
>provides,
>and then just fill in any remaining gaps with "third-party" development?

A couple of quick points:

jQuery is more than just AJAX. There's also a lot in jQuery (animation
effects, DOM manipulation, etc) that CF won't address. These are most likely
things that you'll want to tie in to AJAX functionality. Almost all Web 2.0
UI finding I've read, say the same thing--and that's if you're updating
partial content on the page, users like a subtle effect on the updated
content to reflect the state change. When you write the code yourself (even
w/using a library like jQuery) you have complete control over what's going
to happen.

Whatever AJAX enhancements that CF8 adds, it will still be geared towards to
solving "most" problems, but it won't necessarily give you all the
functionality you need. You may find that 95% of the time, it does
everything you need, but what are you going to do when CF doesn't give you
all the functionality you want?

Well, if you just start now and begin developing a solutions, I think you'll
find the following:

* That once you understand how everything is working, it won't take you much
more (if any more) time to write the same type of code that CF outputs for
you, but you'll have 100% control over the behavior.

* That if you need more functionality, you can add to your libraries and
then it's always available to you in the future.

-Dan